The Fulton County Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. The purpose of the historical society and museum is to bring together people interested in history, especially that of Fulton County, and to promote an understanding of the history of the community. We also serve to promote a better understanding of our state, nation, and appreciation of our American heritage.
The limestone Fulton House was built in 1793 and added to in 1820. It was constructed by the town founder, Daniel McConnell, and was a major stop for travelers headed west. It hosted many noted people including presidents, was involved in two incursions of the confederacy, and nearly burned to the ground in 1944. It was later restored and is now owned by McConnellsburg borough. The museum is located in the original 1810 end of the building, and includes four rooms and the log cabin kitchen.
In December 2016 the historical society bought the former G. C. Murphy building, now referred to as the Museum Annex, and began renovations. Like the Fulton House itself, this building is also on the National Register of Historic Places. It has had many purposes over the years including serving as a grocery, a garage & gas station, and as a retail store. Attached to the Annex, a restaurant sits on the right of the entrance and a banquet room is in the back. Plans following renovation of the building are to house exhibits representing businesses that operated in the county. Currently there are temporary displays, and permanent storefront exhibits completed the end of November 2019 and several more in progress. The new exhibits include machinery from some of the county’s grist mills, a gun shop and artifacts from county garages. The court house display has been relocated and a bank set up.
Open by appointment and during Fulton Fall Folk Festival. The Society accepted ownership of the Winegardner one room school in Taylor Township and, with a generous bequest, repaired and partially furnished it.
Several years ago the site of the pre-Revolutionary War Coombs Fort was deeded to the Historical Society. This was one of the forted homes that settlers fled to during Indian attacks. Located just north of Hancock, Maryland the marker has disappeared, making the site difficult to find.
Big Spring Cemetery
The Big Spring Cemetery, burial place of the 1755 Great Cove Massacre victims, is maintained by members of the Society.
Genealogical Research Library
The Society’s research room is located in the Fulton County Public Library and is open during regular library hours. www.fultoncountylibrary.org
Frontier Barn Quilt Tour of Fulton County
A group of individuals worked under the auspices of the Historical Society to promote the preservation of the rural culture of Fulton County, its farms, history, and especially the beauty of its quilts. http://www.frontierbarnquilttour.com
The official website of the Fulton County Historical Society is http://www.fultonhistory.org
You will find cemetery records, maps,news and photos. In addition, our books and prints are for sale and may be purchased online. Some content is available only to Society members
The Historical Society is a purely volunteer organization and comprised of talented members of the local community. We are always looking for more volunteers and ultimately would like to keep the museum buildings open more days of the week and grow as an organization.